Patch prep.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patch prep.

Anyone regularly mill out patches? Quasi R&R patching? I can’t see the mess to be worth it. I’d rather just dig out or skin patch.

Originally posted by Asphaltman View Post
    Anyone regularly mill out patches? Quasi R&R patching? I can’t see the mess to be worth it. I’d rather just dig out or skin patch.
    That's exactly what I've come up with too Nick.. The amount of time to set up the mill attachment, clean up, switch over to a sweeper, then patch I could have sent a saw cut crew ahead of time and just dug it up. The only place I find milling to be an advantage is when we're under traffic conditions and the thickness of whats out there is way deep and would screw up traffic.. But time vs time, I'd do a cut and dig out before I'd do a mill out

Comment

Even with edge milling, those little grinder mills are not quick... Its odd because I sure do see a lot of people with them.

Comment

Milling is messy. We use infrared. We only mill for overlays.
        Last edited by Dennis; 01-21-2018, 02:02 PM.

Comment

A lot of times we will have a couple guys going around buzzing the perimeter out with a mill and a couple
          more guys following behind them and popping them out with a backhoe.

Comment

Originally posted by Superior Sealcoating View Post
            A lot of times we will have a couple guys going around buzzing the perimeter out with a mill and a couple
            more guys following behind them and popping them out with a backhoe.
            Do you mill in lieu of cutting? I can see where that might work, but Im guessing you need a sweeper?? Seems like more work than its worth.

Comment

Yes, a lot of time we will mill in lieu of cutting. A lot of times the crew that was milling will throw a pickup broom on the bobcat after they are done milling and follow behind the backhoe or excavator digging out, or we will just throw a guy on a blower and just blow whatever millings that get thrown up on the edge of the patch back into the hole. Assuming you are talking about full depth patch?

Comment

Yes, a lot of time we will mill in lieu of cutting. A lot of times the crew that was milling will throw a pickup broom on the bobcat after they are done milling and follow behind the backhoe or excavator digging out, or we will just throw a guy on a blower and just blow whatever millings that get thrown up on the edge of the patch back into the hole. Assuming you are talking about full depth patch?
                Thats what I was thinking. Does your skid steer broom do a decent job? Just seems like a mess. I guess I could see it being faster than traditional R&R, providing you can dial in the cleaning part.

Comment

Yes the broom does wonders. It doesn’t really leave to much of a mess when you mill the perimeter, the millings usually just stay in the hole for the most part. Plus it’s nice because you don’t have to make a cut at the start of your patch to get your bucket under the asphalt.
                  Last edited by Superior Sealcoating; 01-17-2018, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Yes the broom does wonders. It doesn’t really leave to much of a mess when you mill the perimeter, the millings usually just stay in the hole for the most part. Plus it’s nice because you don’t have to make a cut at the start of your patch to get your bucket under the asphalt.
                    Are you guys going full depth or just an inch?

Comment

That is the process we use for full depth.

Comment

That is the process we use for full depth.
                        What type of life are you seeing on the cutting teeth?

Comment

typically we can go a year/ year and a half before they need replaced. We found out its a lot quicker and easier on you using the mill to cut the patches vs burning through blades, fuel, and breaking your back bending over with a hand saw or dealing with wheeling around a walk behind all over a parking lot. A lot of times when you saw cut the patch you end up damaging the edge of your patch when digging out, with milling it that leaves a space to where we found that when you pull the asphalt out you avoid damaging the outside of your patch. We also carry a bobcat, mill, bucket and pickup broom to every job were on so its not a big deal for us to throw the mill on and go.

Comment

typically we can go a year/ year and a half before they need replaced. We found out its a lot quicker and easier on you using the mill to cut the patches vs burning through blades, fuel, and breaking your back bending over with a hand saw or dealing with wheeling around a walk behind all over a parking lot. A lot of times when you saw cut the patch you end up damaging the edge of your patch when digging out, with milling it that leaves a space to where we found that when you pull the asphalt out you avoid damaging the outside of your patch. We also carry a bobcat, mill, bucket and pickup broom to every job were on so its not a big deal for us to throw the mill on and go.
                            Thats awesome. I think we will try an duo more milling this season. Its always been an after thought, with the thought of cleanup killing the idea. You have some great points. We do sub out our cutting, but still, I can see where milling will be better off. Are you running a high flow machine?

Comment

Yes we have a Roadhog 24” on a Bobacat S770 and a Bobcat 24” on a S 250. We typically just use the 1 770 unless we have a lot to do we will run both machines.

Comment

Working...
                              X