Top Mid-Sized Pavers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asphaltman View Post

I saw a couple demos at NPE of the Carlson and Leeboy. Dont remember the exact models, but it was a pretty noticeable difference. The Leeboy just seemed much lighter and bouncy. The Carlson pulled a nice mat. Weilers seem to be of decent quality, but since Cat got involved, having that nationwide parts and service is huge. The interesting thing is how the field has changed. 20 years ago it was all different brands, most of which are no longer around.
    Yes the Weiler is very good quality it has all Cat components in it the Leeboy was a great machine 20 years ago and it was good 10 years ago with the exception of the screed we bought a new 8515 Leeboy in 08 but then in 09 we put a precision screed on it from New Generations which made a huge improvement but I think Lee boy has been left behind by there competition today.

Comment

Ive heard several stories of guys getting only a good hard season, maybe two out of the new LeeBoy screeds. If thats true, I would be disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by SealCoater View Post
        Ive heard several stories of guys getting only a good hard season, maybe two out of the new LeeBoy screeds. If thats true, I would be disappointed.
        I don't know about only 1 year but ya never know if someone is pushing a lot of mix through it in a year like 100,000 tons or something crazy like that I heard of a guy years ago using one in Chicago that paved a lot of industrial parking lots and he would run huge amounts of mix through it and buy new every year we got a 01 Lee boy 8500 with around 3500 hours on it that we use for a spare paver and its still a pretty good machine it has the original screed plate on it still but it does not lay the mat the Weiler puts down also the Leeboy screed flexes a lot I was told by a guy that actually put them screeds on a scale a few times and he says they only weigh about 1500 pounds which is way to light IMO but they do have a heavier screed now I don't know much about it. The Weiler screed is fully adjustable which is pretty nice for dialing it in.

Comment

Originally posted by thefindian View Post

I don't know about only 1 year but ya never know if someone is pushing a lot of mix through it in a year like 100,000 tons or something crazy like that I heard of a guy years ago using one in Chicago that paved a lot of industrial parking lots and he would run huge amounts of mix through it and buy new every year we got a 01 Lee boy 8500 with around 3500 hours on it that we use for a spare paver and its still a pretty good machine it has the original screed plate on it still but it does not lay the mat the Weiler puts down also the Leeboy screed flexes a lot I was told by a guy that actually put them screeds on a scale a few times and he says they only weigh about 1500 pounds which is way to light IMO but they do have a heavier screed now I don't know much about it. The Weiler screed is fully adjustable which is pretty nice for dialing it in.
          Whats your thoughts of the Weiler vs Carlsons?

Comment

Originally posted by Asphaltman View Post

Whats your thoughts of the Weiler vs Carlsons?
            The Carlson has 30% more horse power, the guillotine style sliding material cut off doors have to be less messy the seats swing out and look like its more comfortable for the operator the screed is 1000 lbs heavier then the Weiler and being a Carlson I am sure the mat quality is really good the screws are easier to turn but it only stretches out to 15' unlike the Weiler that is 16' wide I also noticed the Augers spin 10 rpm more and the generator is 14.4 versus the 12 Kw in the Weiler which sounds really good to me up here in a cold climate we put 500 tons down one day last November and the high temperature that day was only 18 deg F the screed would cool down big time when we picked up because it was pretty windy I don't know actual prices yet though but I heard there is a pretty big difference.
            I cant wait to demo the Carlson.

Comment

Originally posted by thefindian View Post

The Carlson has 30% more horse power, the guillotine style sliding material cut off doors have to be less messy the seats swing out and look like its more comfortable for the operator the screed is 1000 lbs heavier then the Weiler and being a Carlson I am sure the mat quality is really good the screws are easier to turn but it only stretches out to 15' unlike the Weiler that is 16' wide I also noticed the Augers spin 10 rpm more and the generator is 14.4 versus the 12 Kw in the Weiler which sounds really good to me up here in a cold climate we put 500 tons down one day last November and the high temperature that day was only 18 deg F the screed would cool down big time when we picked up because it was pretty windy I don't know actual prices yet though but I heard there is a pretty big difference.
              I cant wait to demo the Carlson.
              Nice comparison! Th pricing is the sticking point, lets just say Carlson is proud of their pavers....That being said, with the features, it also sounds like you get what you pay for.

Comment

Working...
              X