Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quickbooks - hoping to find advice from a QB ninja

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Quickbooks - hoping to find advice from a QB ninja

    I have been sent the below from Quickbooks - I'm considering switching to the online plus - has anyone done this transition? Was it straightforward? Any loss or gain in functionality?

    There basically saying I need to upgrade with the below pricing:
    Get QuickBooks Desktop for Mac for $219.95— an $80 savings—or get Mac 3-user for $559.95—a $240 savings* or switch to QuickBooks Online Plus for just $30/month for 12 months—a 50% savings.

  • #2
    I tried switching over to the online version...lasted less than a day before switching back. Depending on what you are using it for...you do lose some functionality so be careful (can’t remember if I lost estimates, invoicing, or purchase order...but one was missing without upgrading to their most expensive package).When I asked my accountant he said that QB desktop basically stays the same each year...no real need to upgrade to the latest year. So after you buy it...you end up spending less after 1.5yrs.

    Comment


    • #3
      Yes it seems to make you upgrade every 3 years. I mainly use it for estimating and invoicing and my wife does the accounts on it. So I was thinking maybe by using teh online version we would be able to use it off 2 separate computers? where as I dont think we can do that with teh desktop version? Also maybe I could access the estimates from my phone that we when away from office?

      Comment


      • #4
        Here’s my two cents. We use Mac computers. However the Mac and QB online programs are very watered down, such a waste imho. We run Parallels on our Mac that allows us to run windows and subsequently QB desktop for windows. We are on some subscription model that’s 300ish per year, but that gets us the newest version each year, but more importantly it also gets us an online backup where the file is backed up to their servers as much as you want. I think the plan also includes support and such as well. It pricey and the above post is right, not much changes every year, but having that online backup is huge for us...I’ve had my share of issues and loss of data by not backing up daily.

        Comment


        • #5
          Accessing from a phone would be a plus. You can use the same file on 2 different computers. I send my accountant my file, he makes his adjustments and sends it back to me to continue using. You would need to have QB installed on both yours and your wife’s computer...but as long as you are not making adjustments at the same time, you could in theory just save the file to a Google Drive that both of you could access from anywhere. You could also have the estimates saved to PDF and stored in a file on the drive as well that you could pull up on your phone.

          Comment


          • #6
            Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate that. I did actually try the idea of saving the file and using on my wife's and my computer - but it ended up causing corruption and the file couldn't be reconciled - caused a right nightmare. It wasn't with Google drive though. But I'm reluctant to try that again - unless someone else has proven the concept.

            Using windows QB on a Mac is interesting. What was the specific functionalities that the windows version had over Mac?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by asphaltdojo View Post
              Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate that. I did actually try the idea of saving the file and using on my wife's and my computer - but it ended up causing corruption and the file couldn't be reconciled - caused a right nightmare. It wasn't with Google drive though. But I'm reluctant to try that again - unless someone else has proven the concept.

              Using windows QB on a Mac is interesting. What was the specific functionalities that the windows version had over Mac?
              We used to have the file on a thumb drive and swap between computers, it sucked. The cost for additional users wasn’t too bad last I looked. I would love remote access though, that would be awesome to be out of town and be able to access the file.

              Well the Mac and Online versions both have previously and I believe currently super watered down. They lack many reports, and the one big thing for me was the lack of ability to create a custom layout on a form. See I made a Quickbooks estimate template, then when I print a quote, I print it on a preprinted form with our terms, and the custom form fits everything nicely. That option isn’t available with either Mac or Online. I keep thinking one day Intuit will make a full version for online as subscription based models seem to be trending. You can compare each version on their site. As far as running windows on a Mac, it’s super easy. Macs have a program called boot camp pre installed where you can start your machine in either Windows or Mac OS. I use parallels, which allows me to run windows while Mac OS is running as normal. I simply start windows and it fires up, then I just open QB as if it were a normal windows machine. Super convenient for programs that haven’t fully embraced Apple yet.

              Comment


              • #8
                That makes a lot of sense, thanks. I dont think I use QB in as an advanced way like you do, so I'm seriously tempted by online. I'll do some more research and I'll let you know if it works

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by asphaltdojo View Post
                  That makes a lot of sense, thanks. I dont think I use QB in as an advanced way like you do, so I'm seriously tempted by online. I'll do some more research and I'll let you know if it works
                  There are pros and cons of both, and also lots of other options out there. Just look close before you go, I dont believe the QB files can be swapped. I have had QB since day 1, and its nice to go back and look at historical data. Thats no biggie for some guys as I know a few people who seem to change software every season. Also consult your accountant as they may prefer a certain program over another. Speaking of, thats one nice thing with QB, most accountants are well versed in it.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    UPDATE - this may be of interest - I just upgraded to the 2019 Mac version - its better, more reports etc but the key benefit for me is that it is now set up to sync with icloud - this means it can really easily be saved and opened on different computers, desktop and laptop - great for when not in office

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by asphaltdojo View Post
                      UPDATE - this may be of interest - I just upgraded to the 2019 Mac version - its better, more reports etc but the key benefit for me is that it is now set up to sync with icloud - this means it can really easily be saved and opened on different computers, desktop and laptop - great for when not in office
                      Thats really cool, I could see the iCloud being a nice advantage. Do you know if they added the ability to use a custom layout designer on your forms?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The iCloud has worked well - but I have to be better at remembering to log out so as not to create multiple open files! It does have 'layout designer' which you can customize somewhat. I have been able to put on import images to the form. But I haven't worked out how to make it multiple pages

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by asphaltdojo View Post
                          The iCloud has worked well - but I have to be better at remembering to log out so as not to create multiple open files! It does have 'layout designer' which you can customize somewhat. I have been able to put on import images to the form. But I haven't worked out how to make it multiple pages
                          Ill have to check it out again. My two issues, we have our original file, two decades old, so I don't want to mess with that or start over, but the other is the ability to run our pre-printed estimate forms. The other thing I just found tu with QB online users, when they send an email from QB, it comes VIA an Intuit email address (with your name of course) but still, this opens up the possibility of your client not recognizing it or also I knwo myself, when I go to search for things sent from our vendors from their QB online, I can never find the emails as they are again from a different sender.

                          I really think the day will come when it all becomes online, but Intuit needs to make that version just as good as the desktop ones.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X