Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Preferred Method

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Preferred Method

    What is your preferred method to apply hot crackseal? Nothing critical here, no question on how it should be done. I just want to know what everyone likes. Myself personally I like the speed banders.

  • #2
    Depends on what it is. Typically on a driveway I will use a MA-10 or if it is very minimal like 20 or so ft of cracks I will use cold pour. On a medium to large parking lot I will use my Crafco. I have debated buying a speed bander and giving it a shot as it seems a lot of people on here use them.

    Comment


    • #3
      We have 2 Crafco supershots and use speed banders with them most of the time. Produces a clean band, and is much more productive than the wand. IMHO. We built a rack to hold them on our pots. We have a video on our channel, check it out and subscribe too.

      Comment


      • Superior Sealcoating
        Editing a comment
        So would it be safe to say that I can order a couple speed banders and not look back or be disappointed?! Haha

    • #4
      Well I finally purchased a speed bander and I must say it is quicker. Although it does take a little time to get used to walking backwards filling cracks. I only purchased 1 but I think if I buy a 2nd and throw a guy on I will really notice a difference in production.

      Comment


      • #5
        Originally posted by Superior Sealcoating View Post
        Well I finally purchased a speed bander and I must say it is quicker. Although it does take a little time to get used to walking backwards filling cracks. I only purchased 1 but I think if I buy a 2nd and throw a guy on I will really notice a difference in production.
        Sorry I didn’t see your post sooner. You’ll love the bander. We have 10 I believe. Watch for sales. Lol. Seriously though, we can put down more material than our pots can keep up with. Plus it leave such a nice band compared to an inexperienced operator on a wand. There are a few learning curves like emptying the bander before it cools etc. You will get it before long.

        Comment


        • #6
          The only issue I have with it is in areas where there are a lot of cracks and your circling around I always tend to step on the material are get the bander caught up in it, which is one of my biggest pet peeves in crackfilling haha. Other than that like you are saying, purchase 1 or 2 more and I’m sure I will notice a big productivity change in big lots. Where do you purchase your banners from?

          Comment


          • #7
            We don’t crack Seal alligator cracks, so that solves a lot, but it does take some skill to not step on a fresh band. I’ll admit it’s not for every job, but most are decent candidates. When I first saw a competitor friend of mine do a Costco, and how fast it was, I was impressed. Before that, I thought banders were for newbies....lol. We’ve gotten ours from all over. One time Equipt had a sale for $99, so we took all they had left. Did you see our video with the rack we built ?

            Comment


            • #8
              Yes I did see the video, that will be a winter project! I wish I can find one for $99!! I paid about $330 for mind from Sealmaster. Do you always have to heat yours up before using it? I run it empty everytime but I seem to always have to heat it up and have noticed material building up on the walls already so I guess I’m going to have to heat that up as well. What type of shoe do you like to run on your Crafco when using the wand? I prefer the swivel disc but have noticed I’m always fighting chunks of hard material clogging it up even after scraping the walls this winter so I switch to the square shoe that is bigger diameter. Just curious on what everyone else likes to run.

              Comment


              • #9
                Originally posted by Superior Sealcoating View Post
                Yes I did see the video, that will be a winter project! I wish I can find one for $99!! I paid about $330 for mind from Sealmaster. Do you always have to heat yours up before using it? I run it empty everytime but I seem to always have to heat it up and have noticed material building up on the walls already so I guess I’m going to have to heat that up as well. What type of shoe do you like to run on your Crafco when using the wand? I prefer the swivel disc but have noticed I’m always fighting chunks of hard material clogging it up even after scraping the walls this winter so I switch to the square shoe that is bigger diameter. Just curious on what everyone else likes to run.
                Yeah they are pricey, but watch around, youll find deals. So a tip, when you are done, lay the bander forward on the ground. Then and remaining material residue will cool on the sides rather than pool at the bottom. We do have to heat them every time, and often re-heat them with our newer guys if they cant empty them fast enough.

                On the SuperShots, we use the 3" swivel disc from Copperstate. You shouldn't have too many issues with chunks if you run a SS as they have an internal screen and also its a gear pump so will chew up most chunks. If you are getting chunks the wand could going out. Also a way to deep clean them inside over the winter is to partially fill the pot with used heat transfer oil, then heat it up and re-circulate. That will dissolve a lot of crud.

                Comment


                • #10
                  Originally posted by Asphaltman View Post

                  Yeah they are pricey, but watch around, youll find deals. So a tip, when you are done, lay the bander forward on the ground. Then and remaining material residue will cool on the sides rather than pool at the bottom. We do have to heat them every time, and often re-heat them with our newer guys if they cant empty them fast enough.

                  On the SuperShots, we use the 3" swivel disc from Copperstate. You shouldn't have too many issues with chunks if you run a SS as they have an internal screen and also its a gear pump so will chew up most chunks. If you are getting chunks the wand could going out. Also a way to deep clean them inside over the winter is to partially fill the pot with used heat transfer oil, then heat it up and re-circulate. That will dissolve a lot of crud.
                  Thank you for the info! I will have to check that filter out. Where is it Located?

                  Comment


                  • #11
                    Originally posted by Superior Sealcoating View Post

                    Thank you for the info! I will have to check that filter out. Where is it Located?
                    Its just a screen over the pump. If you look inside, once you drain the tank, you can see the screen. Its not too much, but should catch anything too big, if not the pump would chew it up. My guess is that your wand is going out. When they do they will build up little turds and then sometimes those will plug up at the tip. We just had Copperstate rebuild our spare and it was only $250. Beats a new wand.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X