Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heat Lances- Has anybody used one? Good, Bad and Ugly.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat Lances- Has anybody used one? Good, Bad and Ugly.

Ive got some winter crackseal to do. Anyone have any experience with a heat lance?

I have not used one, but curious about the small self contained ones. I think they were called crack jets??

Comment

I haven't either, but always curious about them

Comment

I think they are decent for cleaning and ensuring that bond, as the heat will help heat the crack wall. I’m just wondering if the small ones are better or worse than a large unit.

Comment

To me, I would think on a big job they would not be cost effective. I think you would be able to cover more ground in a lot less time using a pull behind air compressor.

Comment

Originally posted by Superior Sealcoating View Post
            To me, I would think on a big job they would not be cost effective. I think you would be able to cover more ground in a lot less time using a pull behind air compressor.
            I agree. Not to mention getting it to the job.

Comment

I've used them extensively, they have there place, don't think you're going to dry wet cracks, it would be way to time consuming and expensive. Mainly used for cracks that have been routed to create a good clean virgin joint for crack sealing. Most times the use is dictated by a contract, ie it is spec'd that a heat lance must be used. Also, remember these things are dangerous, most times you use a shoulder harness that means you are strapped to a 3000 degree torch. Also light it up wind from the source of gas or you'll be a temporary fireball. Crack jets are ok, they have there use, we have one, but it does not do the volume of work that a lance does. I would prefer the crackjet if it had the volume of air that the lance has.

Comment

Originally posted by asphaltbob View Post
                I've used them extensively, they have there place, don't think you're going to dry wet cracks, it would be way to time consuming and expensive. Mainly used for cracks that have been routed to create a good clean virgin joint for crack sealing. Most times the use is dictated by a contract, ie it is spec'd that a heat lance must be used. Also, remember these things are dangerous, most times you use a shoulder harness that means you are strapped to a 3000 degree torch. Also light it up wind from the source of gas or you'll be a temporary fireball. Crack jets are ok, they have there use, we have one, but it does not do the volume of work that a lance does. I would prefer the crackjet if it had the volume of air that the lance has.
                That's what I was wondering... so it wont dry a crack if its a bit moist?? I'd say having it dry is what creates the best bond..

Comment

Originally posted by asphaltbob View Post
                  That’s probably the most common reason is contracts specify them. I do remember Alan Curtis saying they did do a great job prepping the crack, but honestly we rarely if ever get crack Seal failures in our area.

Comment

Again I have never used one but if you are just looking into getting one to dry cracks I would just save the money and crack fill on a different day.

Comment

Does anyone use them for Vegitation removal?

Comment

Those are the ones we use , cheaper way to go and does a good job

Comment

Originally posted by B&E Brad View Post
                          Those are the ones we use , cheaper way to go and does a good job
                          That is awesome! I have never heard of one that way, and its a helluva lot cheaper than a full blown lance. Do you know the compressor specs?

Comment

Working...
                          X