Industry Standards

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Industry Standards

Just curious if anyone else has ever put any thoughts into developing a set of industry standards. It seems as if there are so many variables in the way things are done across the industry that it has allowed a growth of individuals who seem to not care as much about doing things correctly as much as they do about the quick buck. Maybe standards and practices could help cull the herd. I’d like to know everyone’s thoughts on the subject

Yes! This topic has actually been heavily on my mind the last few months. I like to say the sealcoat industry is like the wild wild west! Some people do whatever they want and nobody holds any of them accountable. I hate what it’s doing to our industry. I have been working with our locale state asphalt association with other local sealcoat manufactures on this very subject. Hopefully we have some answers and solutions soon, the main thing I believe we all can do is educate educate educate property managers, public work departments, school districts and state facility departments. I would love some feedback on this from everyone on this form. I believe this is the most important topic we are facing in our industry I believe this should be a collaborated group effort from the professionals in the industry.

Comment

This document is something I have been handing out to property owners that I have visited this year. The idea is for them to hand it out to contractors and have them fill it out and turn it in with there proposal. Hopefully this helps property owners make an educated decision while comparing each proposal. Job Specific Worksheet.pdf

Comment

Excellent BartFreeman. I think this has been a topic in lots of our minds lately. A brainstorming session on getting this type of education out to the masses may be in order. Clearly those who aren’t interested in following a set of standards or doing good for the industry will never attend events such as the NPE or World of Asphalt but maybe more consumer education is the thing to look at

Comment

BartFreeman.. I got the document you sent. Good stuff please keep me updated and send me anything like that anytime. I might steal some of it!! I tried to email you back but it kept getting returned as undeliverable. Thanks again

Comment

Crazy I wonder why the email wont go thro. Thanks for reading thro the document! You can absolutely use whatever you want from it also please let me know if you have anything you suggest adding or removeing…it’s a work in progress.

One thing I was wondering any thoughts on adding a consumer section on Pavement Guru? It could be a recourse of reliable info for property managers etc.

Comment

Originally posted by BartFreeman View Post
              Crazy I wonder why the email wont go thro. Thanks for reading thro the document! You can absolutely use whatever you want from it also please let me know if you have anything you suggest adding or removeing…it’s a work in progress.

One thing I was wondering any thoughts on adding a consumer section on Pavement Guru? It could be a recourse of reliable info for property managers etc.
              That’s one item in the discussion bank. I think at some point that could be on the agenda our focus now is getting good valuable information and quality content for not only the veterans of the industry but for new guys interested in learning as well.

Comment

Why does it seem so many I’m the industry get offended and have such a negative attitude toward standards?

Comment

I’ve been thinking , you know you can’t go to the store , restaurant, car wash etc and ask for a discount or say “ is that the best you can do ?” Why is it we get so often in the sealcoating business? Is it because so many guys are in the #racetothebottom that it’s almost become tradition? Is it because it’s seen as almost a luxury instead of a necessity? Or is it just a lack of standards ??

Comment

Well I think we already have standards in place, I do not deviate from the manufacturers specs. The problem is there is no realistic way for the customer to check to see what the mix is and how much material is being applied. They can call the supplier and ask if the contractor is reputable, i have warrantied several job because the material didn't hold up and was reimbursed from my supplier.

Comment

Maybe it’s more of an ethics issue than a standards issue. I agree the manufacturers have specifications but those necessarily aren’t industry standards, maybe I’m using the wrong terminology I just wondered why it’s become expected that we have a lot of wiggle room to deviate on price without sacrificing quality

Comment

What about something like running sand and a additive? I got a couple competitors in town bidding the same jobs and winning them with running straight sealer no sand or additive. Gets kinda frustrating when your trying to put down the best product you can and have someone go in and win the job telling the customers sand and additive is just a gimmick and a waste.

Comment

Yea that falls under manufacturers specs.its unfortunate that most guys don’t realize that sand is cheaper than sealer and actually adds to the amount of material you have once it’s mixed in. I think we have all lost jobs to guys like that . The best thing to do is to continue to educate the customer on the difference and why the manufacturer recommends it. In the long run if they start comparing the way the jobs look and the. Durability between the two they will realize your work is holding up better and looks better. The sand cost really shouldn’t be enough to make them that much cheaper than you if they are using the correct amount of water. When I sell the customer a job using additives it’s a a premium product so they understand from the get go it’s going to cost more. Same as 1 coat vs two. I lose commercial because I always bid 2 coats and explain why I do that even though most only look for the bottom line

Comment

I'm just getting into this after Striping for 10 years. Seems the same it's not a one size fits all apples to apples. So you either educate and lose some jobs or you race to the bottom and still lose some jobs. I can't imagine these low ballers do much on the education side. But how many of us get the chance to meet someone on site. Is there a Sealers Bible or any education materials you guys can recommend? Thanks

Comment

I’d recommend anything from the Asphalt Institute. Also get your hands on anything the manufacturer you use has, go to the NPE, attend vendors shows at the beginning of the season. There’s World of Asphalt . Look at blogs from Company names you trust. Most of all educate your customers

Comment

Working...
                              X