No announcement yet.

Industry Standards

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve been wishing for some kind of national trade association to come forward with standardized training and best practices that could be turning into a certification or membership. I don’t see it ever happening, but it sure would be a great boost to the industry.

Comment

Originally posted by Archcitysealcoating View Post
      I’ve been wishing for some kind of national trade association to come forward with standardized training and best practices that could be turning into a certification or membership. I don’t see it ever happening, but it sure would be a great boost to the industry.
      There was many years ago, problem is that it’s hard to monitor the standards, and too easy for said standards to be broken. Bottom line, as long as guys don’t know how to properly job cost and estimate, and continue the #racetothebottom and #lowbid mentality, they will always look for ways to cut costs, and that often comes at the expense of doing the job right. The best thing now is the NPE, as folks who attend that usually are the ones who genially want to make the industry better. These forums are also a great gathering place for pros.

Comment

Originally posted by Archcitysealcoating View Post
        This has come up in many conversations​​​​​. The problem is cost , even to set up a non profit it would cost the founders thousands of dollars to just meet up, establish a board, establish guidelines, certification tests, etc, etc. Then the membership fees would limit those who would actually pay to be a part of it. How do you regulate who joins without alienating some good guys? What happens when one of the con artists uses the association and brings a bad image ? It’s unfortunate as it’s something I’d love to be a part of but until the industry as a whole decided it’s time to become better there’s not a good way forward with a trade association. I think that’s why we lean on our personal contacts and things like the NPE to root out the folks we can learn from and depend on for solid advice. Even the Facebook groups have become some riddled with people that are out for themselves or the quick buck that I’ve all but quit watching them. It just gets to be too much when you see so many that really don’t care. There are a few great individuals still posting but you ya e to weed through so much BS I’d be afraid of how that could relay into the politics of trying to form an association

Comment

Yeah, I know it’s a tough road to build something like that. I think a good start could be something from NPE, like if you take a Sealcoating class or crackfilling or whatever - you would be “NPE Certified”. Idk....just something to set us apart from the methy bottom feeders.

Comment

Working...
          X