Sealcoat "'primer"?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sealcoat "'primer"?

A sealcoat company in our area (Sacramento, CA) is doing something I have not seen before.
    Before putting down the typical black emulsion (they use Raynguard Overkote), in areas where there is cracking, they 1st spread out a white "poly primer" (what the employee told me). It has the same liquid consistency and spread in the same manner as Overkote, but it looks like a gray-white mortar/primer material. It dries rock-hard like mortar. I could not get the product name from the worker. He claimed it "fills in the cracks and provides a good bonding surface for the final black coat". Then the Overkote is applied over it. When the driveway is completely done it looked perfectly smooth, and all evidence of the old cracks were gone. Either this is some new wonder product, or a scam that will show its ugly head in a couple of years.
    Anyone know of such a product?
    thanks!

Originally posted by rrr10pgk View Post
    A sealcoat company in our area (Sacramento, CA) is doing something I have not seen before.
    Before putting down the typical black emulsion (they use Raynguard Overkote), in areas where there is cracking, they 1st spread out a white "poly primer" (what the employee told me). It has the same liquid consistency and spread in the same manner as Overkote, but it looks like a gray-white mortar/primer material. It dries rock-hard like mortar. I could not get the product name from the worker. He claimed it "fills in the cracks and provides a good bonding surface for the final black coat". Then the Overkote is applied over it. When the driveway is completely done it looked perfectly smooth, and all evidence of the old cracks were gone. Either this is some new wonder product, or a scam that will show its ugly head in a couple of years.
    Anyone know of such a product?
    thanks!
    It’s very possible that it’s a primer. Primers can be used to help adhesion of the sealer and possibly help them to last longer. It may temporarily smooth out cracks, but cracks originate from the base, so they will eventually reflect through regardless of the material. Even an overlay of new asphalt is subject to reflective cracking. I do know the Rayner products are some of the best sealers out there in their category. I believe there are a few guys on these boards that are more familiar, so hopefully they will chime in.

Comment

I have been using oil spot primer instead of power washing to cover large areas of algae.. not moss.. i mean the green discoloration often seen on the pavement surface leaft from trees and overgrowth.. but not moss.. It does the same thing as it does on oil.. it insulates the seal coat and it make sit stick.. Without it power washing misses too many spots and if you do nothing the new sealer will flake off in the first season..

Comment

Working...
      X