Squeegee / spray systems that could increase efficiency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squeegee / spray systems that could increase efficiency

Hi Guys I'm interested in getting a spray bar set up that could be used for larger parking lots and roadways - the aim being to reduce manpower demands. I've seen the buggy type machines and was wondering if they eliminate the need for cutting in with a squeegee /board? Do people like these machines?

Originally posted by asphaltdojo View Post
    Hi Guys I'm interested in getting a spray bar set up that could be used for larger parking lots and roadways - the aim being to reduce manpower demands. I've seen the buggy type machines and was wondering if they eliminate the need for cutting in with a squeegee /board? Do people like these machines?
    You still need to cut in somehow. Some of the buggy’s have a spray shield that you can get next to some flat edges, but it’s hard. The buggy’s themselves are huge labor savers. You can get some serious footage with them. Biggest draw back is transporting them to the job and also filling them because you can empty so fast. If you can get a good buy, you won’t go wrong. There’s some for sale on this site.

Comment

I've used both the trailer with the spray bar and a buggy with spray bar. Obviously, the buggy is quicker because of the maneuverability. However, you actually cut in a little bit more for the machines than what you would to hand spray. My opinion is that you could probably get away with a curb Shield if you were spraying a street but in parking lots I feel like you would likely need to cut in by hand.

I'm actually getting ready to buy a 9-foot spray bar for my trailer so I have been looking at these same options.

Comment

Originally posted by BoCoMo View Post
        I've used both the trailer with the spray bar and a buggy with spray bar. Obviously, the buggy is quicker because of the maneuverability. However, you actually cut in a little bit more for the machines than what you would to hand spray. My opinion is that you could probably get away with a curb Shield if you were spraying a street but in parking lots I feel like you would likely need to cut in by hand.

I'm actually getting ready to buy a 9-foot spray bar for my trailer so I have been looking at these same options.
        Spray bars are awesome. We have one on all of our tanks and also our buggy. If you do any sort of wide open stuff, you’ll be amazed at how much material you can place.

Comment

Yes, wide open spaces are great. Myself and one other guy put down over 3000 gallons in one day pretty comfortably. It took us almost 3 days to get to that point between cleaning, crack filling, and cutting in but it was certainly nice to drive the truck instead of walk. One thing that I've been wondering about is how much to overlap. It seems like I get streaks where I overlap. How much overlap do you guys plan on. I've been overlapping 12-18 inches.
          Thanks!

Comment

Ive been thinking about spray bars lately as well. I use an old neil 500 gallon trailer and it has a seat attachment and steel brackets for a bar. One thing i heard from the sealcoating A To Z class at NPE this year was the presenter being very critical of spray bar as in his opinion they always will show lines...is there a differnce on how high its mounted to limit lines?

Comment

The only lines I've gotten is on the overlap, but I'm not sure there's anything you can do about that. Maybe someone with more experience can help out or has a best practice to share. Those lines seem to work in about the third day traffic is on the lot so not a big deal.

Sealrite told me to have the tips between 18 and 22 inches off the ground for their spray bar. They said I could also tilt the bar up to a 45 degree angle to achieve that height. He also showed me the angle to keep the tips in the tip holder. Instead of having the fan be parallel with the bar you are actually supposed to keep them at a about a 5 degree angle to help with the overlap. I'm fortunate to live about 25 miles from the Seal Rite factory and so have the good fortune of getting personal instruction from the folks that make the stuff when I go over and pick up parts.

I ended up getting a 7 foot bar so I could still get in my garage door with it on the trailer. It should spray a 9 foot swath. I used some hitch receivers and welded them onto my trailer and then put square tubing on the spray bar so that I can pull two pins and remove the spray bar. If anyone is interested I'll post some pictures after I get it all plumbed today. I'm also going to get an air tank and use it separately to run the switch as I've heard that if you're running low on air you are unable to shut the bar off which would potentially really suck.

Comment

Can anyone post pictures of a spray var seal lot they did?

Comment

I personally feel that spraying it leaves a better finish. Each application method has the potential to show lines, but I feel spraying coats the tops of the rock better, and after 30 days or so of the sealer working in, it looks even better. We have a video showing a spray bar in operation, you can see how it sprays. Ill post the channel link below. Like and subscribe too!

Comment

I used a sealmaster 7 foot 5 tip spray bar on this lot last year. There are lines but I don't think anyone but me noticed them. I'm sure they're gone now.

Comment

Originally posted by BoCoMo View Post
                      I used a sealmaster 7 foot 5 tip spray bar on this lot last year. There are lines but I don't think anyone but me noticed them. I'm sure they're gone now.
                      That’s my experience. Honestly squeegees can leave drag marks easier... I just looked at a competitors job that was squeegeed two coats with a buggy, and the drag marks are horrible. I’d take a spray bar line over that any day. Still regardless, as the oil cures, both methods will work in. Rarely do you see anything after a month.

Comment

Originally posted by Asphaltman View Post

That’s my experience. Honestly squeegees can leave drag marks easier... I just looked at a competitors job that was squeegeed two coats with a buggy, and the drag marks are horrible. I’d take a spray bar line over that any day. Still regardless, as the oil cures, both methods will work in. Rarely do you see anything after a month.
                        What size of tips do you guys use? And, do you use sand all the time? What pressure do you typically run on your spray bars?

I do run sand all the time. I bought 80/70 tips for my spray bar but after testing with water I'm a little scared that they are too big. I know the water is going to come out a lot faster, but it was really coming out with the regulator set at about 45 lbs. I think I used 50's last year on the spray bar, but don't remember for sure as I rented the machine and it seemed to plug quite a bit.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                        X