Need help from the veteran seal coaters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help from the veteran seal coaters

hey guys i have always used brushes to seal coat not squeegees. the issue i have been having is when it is hot out and the driveways have been sealed a lot and obviously it doesnt use as much sealer which is nice but because it is just coating the top and not soaking in it dries so fast and sometimes its hard for me to keep up no matter how fast I go and than it leaves a mark or two especially if the brush leaves a line of sealer a couple time and you have to keep going back over it. Im wondering is there anything i can do besides diluting it a little more or an additive that helps with that or do i just need to do those types of driveways first thing in the morning or in the late afternoon when it gets cooler?

I’ve always heard that misting with water helps . I’ve never tried it
    Warren

Comment

Misting water is an excellent choice. Just confirm with your supplier. No puddles, but get the pavement wet. It will help the sealer stick better too. Also, try different methods of application. Try a squeegee or spray. Then you have options available when you need them.

Comment

Going both ways usually does the job even on the hottest of days. I do 30 to 34 percent water, coal tar doesn't dry as quick. Asphalt based is faster you gotta move quick.

Comment

appreciate the advice I figured my mix was way to concentrated. i know the suppliers want you keep having to come back soon but i was doing 50/50 and that still seemed really thick. Than i painted my tank Red instead of black so it wouldnt be as hot and that helped a little bit but not too much. Also i really want to try and squeegee but im nervous. not sure how you guys are able to do around the garages and side walks or paver board with them.

Comment

50% water is way too much . Your not providing a solid product at that rate. I’d check with your manufacturer, most have their mix ratios available on the web. It’s most likely something else at that point. If the asphalt is in really good condition I would try switching to a squeegee. It could even be having too much water causing some of the issue
            Warren

Comment

just got back from the supplier. Made my mix 65/35 looking forward to seeing how it works out tomorrow. for you guys that do the squeegees, do you put them in the brush box when you are down sitting it water and you come continue using them? how long do they last?

Comment

There are different levels of stiffness on squeegees. All of them are different. Most that seal master sells are really inflexible and leave a lot of material behind. Seal rite has a nice selection and tell you which ones are softer versus harder. I think they have three or four different grades for different pavement porosities.

If you are going to use a squeegee around stuff that you don't want sealer on you have to make absolutely certain that there are no small pebbles or debris on the pavement that can cause the squeegee to flip which will spray material everywhere.

I leave mine in the brush box although you don't have to. Depending on how much sealer you put down the squeegee should last a season.

Comment

Thank you great information. Def would have learned the hard way if not for that advice lol

Comment

There are two things being talked bout here, and they shouldn't be confused. Dilution of your concentrate sealer is one thing. This will have a range and be from your supplier. On hotter days, you will want to add up to the maximum amount they allow. Over dilution will cause the sealer to not perform properly. As far as wetting the pavement prior, this will help it to be more workable, and will also help your sealer stick better. As the above pst said, don't create puddles, but rather mist or make the pavement damp.

Comment

• BoCoMo
                      BoCoMo commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes, I had it explained to me like this... Imagine your sealer can be an Oreo cookie but you don't want it to be. If it is too hot The sealer will hit the hot pavement and flash almost immediately creating a hard shell on the bottom. Then, because it is so hot the top will also flash almost immediately creating a hard shell. The result is a creamy middle that needs to evaporate but cannot. Sealer applied in this scenario will come off inside of 6 months. I've redone several parking lots that this has happened on.

Misting cools the pavement enough to keep the sealer from flashing. Some machines have misters but you can also use a hose off your water tank and accomplish the same thing with the proper nozzle.

Hey guys just got my squeegee wondering if I put it together right. One side of the rubber has a round end. Still not sure if I’m supposed to do it like this or drill holes through it but I’m afraid it’ll fall out while working: feels like it is in there pretty good

Comment

That is the correct way, or at least looks correct.

Comment

Thank you did a couple driveways today but didnt use it yet. I did get to use my new natural fiber brushes you guys recommended. definitely worked nice. appreciate all the help. Couple of these driveways were nightmares so uneven with holes or depressions everywhere with new paver edging which i was so careful and barely moved it it would still throw a little dot of sealer on them than i would grab the spray bottle and spray it and it would go away but that the water would drop on the driveway and cause more splattering. what a nightmare. Im gonna stop taking these bad driveways and just say rip it out and pave it. I just bought a 1 inch pump. hoping that it will work so i can start spraying again. hope it is big enough.

Comment

Originally posted by UniqueTouch View Post
                          Thank you did a couple driveways today but didnt use it yet. I did get to use my new natural fiber brushes you guys recommended. definitely worked nice. appreciate all the help. Couple of these driveways were nightmares so uneven with holes or depressions everywhere with new paver edging which i was so careful and barely moved it it would still throw a little dot of sealer on them than i would grab the spray bottle and spray it and it would go away but that the water would drop on the driveway and cause more splattering. what a nightmare. Im gonna stop taking these bad driveways and just say rip it out and pave it. I just bought a 1 inch pump. hoping that it will work so i can start spraying again. hope it is big enough.
                          Were the issues your having cutting with the brush or squeegee? I've never had issues cutting in with a brush, at least not with anything splattering. Is your sealer really watered down? I could see a really thin sealer causing that issue, or maybe your not having enough down pressure on the brush to keep the bristles trailing behind (like they keep flipping forward and causing a slash). Just a few thoughts.

Comment

To be honest with you never really had the issue until yesterday. I think because the driveway was in such bad shape . it was sinking everywhere especially on the edges near the pavers. Also the driveway hasnt been sealed before that for prob 10 years. I was using a brush. Also I just had the tank filled and for the first time I actually had kept it at the manufacturers specs of 70/30. In my opinion too thick especially with the top tuff in it. but I figured because a couple days earlier I put down some alligator cracking material I wanted it as thick as i could to try and blend the different textures together so it wouldnt be as noticeable. I was also thinking the same thing, I want it as thick as possible so it doesnt splatter as bad. Drove by it today atleast it looks good. Def going to try and start spraying. Haven't done it in years to be honest. Once my pump went i never replaced it. When you guys are spraying do you guys run water through your pump and spay setup or do you just wait until the end of the season and not have any issues?

Comment

• BoCoMo
                              BoCoMo commented
                              Editing a comment
                              70/30 is good without top tuff. IMO, adding top Tuff and sand requires another 10-15% water. That's my experience with Sealmaster. That is the minimum to get it to spray. It is still very thick.
                          Working...
                          X