painting coming off arrows

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• painting coming off arrows

hello. this is my first post here. i have been striping for about 18 years. i use sherwin williams hotline exclusively. from time to time i have trouble with paint coming off of directional arrows. all i can figure is the fast dry paint is causing it due to making several passes over the large area. it never happens on lines or smaller stenciled areas. the 2 most recent cases were on concrete. anyone else ever have this trouble?

Paint too thick possibly ?

Comment

Originally posted by sealcoatkid View Post
      Paint too thick possibly ?
      i think it is too thick. probably from the overlaps. i think it dries so fast, i have a layer of wet, a dry skin, wet, over and over.

Comment

Paint really doesn’t stick well to concrete. I’d lean towards that is more of the issue than the paint in this case. If the concrete was newer, it could still have sealer on it. Also the smoother the less the paint has something to grab on too.

Comment

Originally posted by Asphaltman View Post
          Paint really doesn’t stick well to concrete. I’d lean towards that is more of the issue than the paint in this case. If the concrete was newer, it could still have sealer on it. Also the smoother the less the paint has something to grab on too.
          both of the last 2 incidents were in drive lanes and entrances. they were heavy broom finish with lots of profile. sealing concrete isn't very common here. i know one of them was a country church and it definitely wasn't sealed. the other was a large factory, sealing the concrete may have been in their specs. concrete weathers a good bit in the first month or so after pouring. i wonder if maybe some of the top cream may be weathering away.

Comment

Concrete surfaces have always been a striper's worst nightmare! Between vehicular fluids dripping and possible lime and calcium drips from parking structures, power washing,scrubbing and sealing always presented a problem for me. I always made sure to tell the customer that I could not guarantee performance or time factors for endurance on concrete.

Comment

Cure agents in the concrete have created problems for us. We had one job the concrete was 5 or so years old and still flaked off. (Had never been painted). We power washed, painted again with no more problems. Another at a new bank came off in couple mos. Again powered washed, repainted again and has wore very well. We have stopped painting new concrete unless they agree to cure brushing or power washing.

Comment

Originally posted by Milt View Post
                Cure agents in the concrete have created problems for us. We had one job the concrete was 5 or so years old and still flaked off. (Had never been painted). We power washed, painted again with no more problems. Another at a new bank came off in couple mos. Again powered washed, repainted again and has wore very well. We have stopped painting new concrete unless they agree to cure brushing or power washing.
                I think that’s it, there needs to be a disclaimer of understanding.

Comment

Working...
                X