Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Duckfatmatt
    • Feb 2019

String line

Hey everyone. What kind of string line do you use? I'm looking to buy a hand held wheel and a couple hundred feet or so of line. I would use it for marking out end lines and inverted paint ticking. I've found some half inch braided nylon for moutain climbing but it seems like a overkill.. Also where do you order it from? Thanks so much
  • Asphaltman
    Administrator
    • Jun 2017

300' Pre-Marked Layout Tape, Parking Lot Striping | Business & Industrial, Building Materials & Supplies, Painting Equipment & Supplies | eBay!

Comment

• Asphaltman
      Administrator
      • Jun 2017

Reel Chalk Bigmouth Hi-Speed - Chalk Lines - Amazon.com

Comment

• Asphaltman
        Administrator
        • Jun 2017

Im not sure if you are meaning chalk line or what but there is a link to one on Amazon. It’s got a decent cord. There’s also a link for a layout tape that has the stall measurements pre marked on it. Some guys will pull that tape tight and use it to mark the ends of the stalls as well.

Comment

• BlackTopper
          Pavement Guru
          • Sep 2018

You can also use a small coated cable for longline striping. I won’t blow around as easy. We switched to cables years ago. You can get them at Lowe’s and then just use a hand reel to store it.

Comment

• sealcoatkid
            Administrator
            • Oct 2017

I’ve heard of guys buying the window sash line at Lowe’s and having good success but never tried it.
            Warren

Comment

• Milt
              Pavement Guru
              • Mar 2018

Weed eater line works well. Paint flakes off easily. We have one gear reduction reel with around 500 feet on it we have been using 5 or so years and three smaller ones with around 150 feet or so. We have auto layout sys so usually just dot along it but sometimes paint a long line along side them. I have one of Jpanz chalk markers on order so hope to kind of retire them.
              ​​​​​

Comment

• Duckfatmatt
                • Feb 2019

Great thanks guys. It would be more for sealer restripes and ticking out lines. I would attach one end to a layout buddy, pull tight and walk on the line while marking my bottoms. I think we used nylon or cotton in the past. Sorry if this is confusing. Thanks again.

Comment

• linemaker
                  • Mar 2018

I've used the window sash chain for many years. Works fine but you must remove the kinks you get in it every few feet or so. Also aerosol marking paint used for pre lines causes many of the kink troubles. You get used to it after a while and just by "pulling or stretching it out" as you unreel it, it cleans itself off again. I would say however, it is most likely easier by using the braided steel more flexible and coated cable as the paint buildup should crack off easier?

Comment

• Asphaltman
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2017

I think that old Bill sold cables along with his big foot tool. Anyone know if he is still around?

Comment

• jpanz
                      Pavement Guru
                      • Oct 2017

We have used 3/16 nylon rope for twenty years. Roll it up on an extension cord reel. We paint next to it, chalk with it. I like the rope better because I can stretch it really tight over 600 ft and the line does not flop around when painting next to it. Or even better, upgrade to the Graco LazerGuide 2000 and never worry about a string line.

Comment

• jpanz
                        Pavement Guru
                        • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Asphaltman
                        I think that old Bill sold cables along with his big foot tool. Anyone know if he is still around?
                        Somebody is still making them.
                        https://www.asphaltsealcoatingdirect...ng-layout-tool
                        https://www.forconstructionpros.com/pavement-maintenance/marking-striping/company/10072179/big-foot-layout-tools

Comment

Working...