Shadow boxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shadow boxes

Is anyone using anything besides the graco shadow box? We've had a couple get left at jobs and I am about to order a few but thought I'd see if anyone has found something better or cheaper as having hired help and separate crews that I can't personally be with all the time, I'm going to lose some shadow boxes.

I took jpanz's advice and ordered boxes from Uline and then put my own 3M diamond sheet in the back. I then used Gorilla Tape to cover up the handle hole in the bottom and used a piece of flat steel that I had laying around as a weight and glued it in the bottom.

it works great and I have four or five of them now. The taller box is nice so that you don't have to bend over as far to pick it up.

Comment

I was in a big train yard and used my trailer as a target. I just picked a spot on it and held it there it was very far away, worked great.

Comment

Originally posted by BoCoMo View Post
        I took jpanz's advice and ordered boxes from Uline and then put my own 3M diamond sheet in the back. I then used Gorilla Tape to cover up the handle hole in the bottom and used a piece of flat steel that I had laying around as a weight and glued it in the bottom.

it works great and I have four or five of them now. The taller box is nice so that you don't have to bend over as far to pick it up.
        One small change I had to make on mine, I cut the black center strip so its only on the top half. You loose the laser on the black strip.

Comment

I bought myself a new truck, trailer and auto layout machine and no one is allowed to use it.We do mostly new work during the day, i can't seem to see the shadow box more than 7 doubles what does everyone else see.

Comment

Originally posted by DAN N.J. View Post
            I bought myself a new truck, trailer and auto layout machine and no one is allowed to use it.We do mostly new work during the day, i can't seem to see the shadow box more than 7 doubles what does everyone else see.
            So, you're talking double stall bays? 36 feet long then a 24 foot drive lane? If so, 7 is over 100 yards accordng to my math. That's a pretty good run. I would be happy with that. If you aren't you might try tilting the laser a little bit. Or, work at night. You can see it for miles at night....

Comment

Originally posted by DAN N.J. View Post
              Try mounting the laser as high as you can, then use the middle of the laser pointing at the box. The middle of the laser beam fan is the brightest point on the unit. I would not do this at night because you are shining quite a bit into the sky and the airplanes might be an issue

Comment

It seems to be harder to adjust the lazer the farther you want to spray

Comment

I think the most I have done is 6 double sets. At six if I were to hit a grain of sand I lose the box. Very hard to keep the lazer on target at that distance. I now do 4 at a time but dont cross the drive lane on the last double set before moving the box so they all stay perfectly straight
                  use multiple boxes and just move the nearest one as you get to it.

Comment

Working...
                  X